Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A SPIRITUAL UDUPI

I am not religious and I find it very difficult to believe in religions and follow them...KAAR FESTIVAL U D U P I
But I think I now (after this very long) understand the essence of the
whole concept... I dont like the temples, the hypocritic priests and their slimy ways, the dirty floors and walls and the norm of removing shoes, the bad rotten flowers and dirty water they give away in name of God and all the black money that gets pumped into the temples in name of God ... I dislike it all...
It makes me very angry to be inside a temple and to have to bribe a priest so that I can have a peaceful look at the idol!

Very angry!

But... I loved what i witnessed at Udupi this visit....The sounds of the drums and the "manjiras" still ring in my ear, I cant still forget the temple elephant dancing to the rhythm, the hundreds of people that suddenly appeared from nowhere to pull on
the thick ropes tugged onto the 20-30 foot tall wooden chariot, the rush, the mood,the fire, the music and it all stirred something inside me...

KAAR FESTIVAL U D U P I

I felt tears rolling down my eyes, I can feel them now!

I now know what its all about, and how wrong we all got it...and how simple it has to be.... Its all about energy... and positive energy... and we can all feel it... its this energy that makes it all so spiritual...

Yes I had a spiritual experience!

5 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Sathya said...

Hi Lavannya,


Visit Long time after....

Your post reminds me of a dance that happens in Udupi... totally mesmerising.... Men and women ... jump tap clap and then hop.... a rhythmic beauty....

And somehow compared to other south indian temples I feel the Udupi temple still holds its charm....


Brings back memories all the times I had in that part of the world ...

Nostalgia!
Sathya

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Kishor Cariappa said...

Truly, temples around Dakshina Kannada are quite magical. If you want to experience something better, visit temples around Malabar region in Kerala –– they are the ultimate!

Pics on your blog rocks!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger jagadhish said...

I never had the kind of experience you feel in some of the temples in Dakshina Kannada. Poojas only happens at specific time,with drum beats, jagate, which some time goes more than an hour...this is unique to this land. truly it brings up the spirituality in you!

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger sudhi_36 said...

Elephants belong to the wild ! When will people realize this?
Making elephants dance to the tunes of humans in temple is cruel.

I am from Kerala and every spring, in the name of religion these magnificent creatures are tortured by baking them in sun for long hours and subject them to throngs of people. Needless to say they snap and then trample people. And then the people blame the elephants.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger sudhi_36 said...

Elephants belong to the wild ! When will people realize this?
Making elephants dance to the tunes of humans in temple is cruel.

I am from Kerala and every spring, in the name of religion these magnificent creatures are tortured by baking them in sun for long hours and subject them to throngs of people. Needless to say they snap and then trample people. And then the people blame the elephants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home